The world's first global Korean pop star
When PSY's Gangnam Style music video went viral on YouTube in summer 2012, celebland quickly jumped on board, with Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Robbie Williams and Tom Cruise taking to Twitter to share their delight.
It wasn't long before Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun signed the South Korean hip hop artist, and as his video clocked in over 250 million YouTube views, it was clear that PSY was the world's first global Korean pop star.
Here's some facts about the newest K-pop kid on the block:
- Psy was born Park Jae-sang on 31 December, 1977 in South Korea
- He attended Boston University and the Berklee College of Music in the USA
- His first album, PSY from the PSYcho World!, was released in 2001 and saw him fined for offensive content
- The star has since released a total of six albums in his native land
- Psy is famed for his impersonations of famous female Korean pop singers
- He served his mandatory term in the South Korean military from 2003 to 2005
- He married his wife, who he now has twin daughters with, on 14 October 2006
- A scandal broke out in 2007 when it was revealed Psy did not properly complete his military term, causing him to return to service from summer 2007 to 2009.
Now he's back with a follow-up single.... GENTLEMAN! Watch the video here.
Are you a fan of Korea's mad-dancing hip hop sensation? Let us know in the comments below..